NEWSLETTER 1 Pickleball Australia Association
OUR BEGINNINGS IN JANUARY
From a standing start in January the following has occurred:
● The company formed to promote pickleball nationally.
● Strategic Plan development to enable recognition of pickleball as a sport.
● Membership management portal for use by all players to register
● Public liability Insurance for all members across Australia
● Website platform hosted by Pickleball Australia with model website choices for Clubs and State Associations
● State Associations in NSW and QLD, and we are actively engaging with all the other states and territories to facilitate the establishment of incorporated associations and affiliation as State Members.
FIRST, SOME HISTORY
● The initial organization established in 2017 was Pickleball Association of Australia Inc. with the trading name “Pickleball Australia.”
● This was an incorporated association based only in Queensland.
● October 2019: At the conclusion of the 2019 National Championships a Special General Meeting was held where it was recognized that for the sport to move forward a public company needed to be created and a constitution was passed as an acceptable set of rules to work with when this process began. This constitution was based on the model rules provided by Sport Australia.
● January 2020: a public company limited by guarantee was formed by interested individuals and the members of the previous PAA Inc. committee were invited to be members of the new board to assist with the transition.
● The company is named Pickleball Australia Association Ltd.
● February 2020: PAA Inc. and PANSW became Member States as the recognized state bodies at the time of formation of Pickleball Australia Association Ltd., the national body.
● PAA Inc. held their Special General Meeting, passed a resolution to rename the association to Pickleball Association of Queensland, adopt a revised constitution for Queensland and elect Queensland based office-bearers.
● The Pickleball Australia board engaged a facilitating body who were experts in the management of change for sporting bodies to develop a 3-year strategic plan – to guide planning and set the direction for the board.
NOW, PICKLEBALL AUSTRALIA in 2020
VISION: Pickleball played across Australia with Pickleball Australia recognized as a National Sporting Organization and acknowledged for its central role in linking together the pickleball players and the community of Australia.
MISSION: Pickleball Australia will nurture a national network of affiliated state associations, clubs, and individual members, supporting the growth of social and competitive play; with development of a respected structure of accreditation for coaches, trainers, and players, and ongoing provision of a support services package for expansion.
FIRST STEPS BEING TAKEN TO ACHIEVE THIS MISSION:
● Application of the Sport Australia model rules to the Pickleball Australia Association Ltd as the first step in developing a structure to satisfy a National Sporting Organisation structure. This means Pickleball is governed and policy is set at the national level with input from members. Member states, clubs and players assist the Board with the development of policies, plans, and processes.
● Facilitation of the formation of State Associations to affiliate as the Member States, another criterion for recognition of Pickleball as a sport. The board is answerable to these Members who have voting rights.
● Initiation of a membership management platform as a service to all pickleball bodies at no cost to members. The Revolutionise membership management platform has been selected after research into other software options. This provides automatic collection of data for your club and maintenance of your Register of Members, with no ongoing need for you to pass on information to State and National levels. Each club/ state will have access to their Register in the membership database. There is the option for states or clubs to establish their own portal within this system if they feel it is necessary, once they have had some experience with this valuable, useful system.
● Establishment of a nationally hosted website portal that states or clubs may choose to use (at no cost) or they may continue with their current arrangements with a link to their website from the portal.
● Securing insurance for 20-million-dollar public liability, professional indemnity, and management liability to which all individual members and Affiliated Members have coverage.
● Engagement of a professional graphic designer to review branding and develop a comprehensive brand for the Pickleball Australia Association.
● Assessment of coaching accreditation and umpiring courses to be recognized by Pickleball Australia with initial accreditation already beginning.
● Development of tournament and competition guidelines for the sanctioning, recognition and support of events nationally.
● As many of you will be aware, a moratorium was placed on membership while Pickleball Australia established a working structure. For all PAA Inc. members that moratorium is now at an end. It is important that each of you takes the time to organize your new membership with Pickleball Australia either through your affiliated club, your affiliated state or directly as an individual member.
● All players are encouraged to join the pickleball community using the registration platform which can be found by clicking here: Pickleball Australia Registration
● It is important to note that as this is a new membership application format renewal is not an option, all members need to register as if it is a new registration.
● While membership is individual, you will be asked to indicate your club (if you have an affiliated club at this point), and your state of residence.
● The membership management platform is a service provided nationally for states and clubs.
● Individual membership includes a base rate of $40 per annum for the base national/ state levy.
● Clubs and states which affiliate may nominate an extra fee for their members to pay for specific state or club activities and benefits. This will all be collected at the time of joining and funds will then be transferred by Pickleball Australia to the relevant clubs and state associations.
● Affiliated states and clubs will have administration rights of their Registry of Members within the national database.
● Membership and renewal of membership is paid annually with automatic reminders for renewal.
● Clubs and states can negotiate an annual end of year if they prefer but there is no capacity for setting prorate levies in the membership portal.
● State affiliation results in State Members who have voting rights at the national level. Affiliation indicates recognition of Pickleball Australia as the governing body of Pickleball in Australia and agreement with the established objects, policies, and by-laws.
● If no State Association exists, a Club can affiliate directly, if no club exists for an individual member, they are also able to affiliate directly but this does not provide clubs or individuals with voting rights.
● Affiliation aims to provide the following benefits:
- national strategic planning platform and
- support for development at state, regional, club and local level,
- striving for the recognition of Pickleball as a sport
- development of programs for schools,
- expansion of player numbers
- registered accreditation programs for coaches and referees,
- resources for, coaches and referees,
- promotion and support of all pickleball events hosted by members,
- National calendar of sanctioned tournaments,
- individual member rates for involvement in national, state, regional and local tournaments,
membership management tool (including access to club-specific data) with discounted rates for development of club and state portals if requested,
- a national insurance program – public liability, professional indemnity and management liability (as identified).
- a hosted platform for website development,
- the opportunity to be involved with the development of this sport.
Alternatively, if states and clubs choose not to affiliate, they do not have access to the services provided nationally. Individual players who are not members of an affiliated state or club will not receive the same access to tournaments and courses recognized by Pickleball Australia and their affiliates.
We realize this is a great deal of information and will take some time to absorb. For questions regarding affiliation please contact your state association or Pickleball Australia directly at the email address below. We are very much hoping to be on the courts soon, as some states are loosening their restrictions.
Please take care and keep fit in this lockdown time. With regards to playing we strongly advise you take notice of State Government advice as it will vary, but remember to stay safe and stay connected.
Bob Mendelsohn for the Board
Pickleball Australia Association Ltd.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
Chair: Bob Mendelsohn email@example.com
Director and Company Secretary: Jen Ramamurthy
Directors: Nick Cooper, Toby Copeland, Tony Morgan & James Sharley